Hop Farm Festival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day...

+13
wizard2953
janmoomoo
misterj
bigvernon
paddys wink
Bermuda Highway
airguitarhero
Paul_H_42
loper
tomandlu
oldraver
karlhungus
englishbob
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day... Empty My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day...

Post  englishbob Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:26 pm

Does anyone know the first 3 songs that MMJ played in their set, I wasn't expecting to be blown away by them, but I was. Most of what followed in their set wasn't as good, I was just interested in the first 3....

Anyway, good day out, minus the rain. Primal Scream where the absolute pits though, they have been terrible for years and yet they are still (kind of) regarded as a large group, commanding 2nd place on the bill when I would of given it to MMJ or Supergrass. I got excited when someone rushed the stage, I thought he was going to take Gilespie out for good, but alas, his attempts where thwarted. Crying or Very sad Primal Scream should be filed along with "The Charlatans" as a group that are still going, yet have always been rubbish and yet are still in demand live for some reason.

Neil Young's set was great, up until the last 2 numbers, which ran for about 30 minutes between them.

Seen the comments on the car parking and it was what I was expecting really. Massive wait (2 Hours), badly lit and labelled and no exit signs to be seen anywhere. The wait time is about the same as going to somewhere like Wembley Stadium for a gig though.

englishbob

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day... Empty Re: My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day...

Post  karlhungus Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:48 pm

MMJ - set started with "Golden", "Thank You Too" and "Evil Urges". Full details here: http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1215365774

And yes, they should have been way up the running order, where Primal Scream were. I wasn't sure if Mani was a cardboard cut-out at one stage.

karlhungus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Back to top Go down

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day... Empty Re: My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day...

Post  englishbob Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:50 pm

karlhungus wrote:MMJ - set started with "Golden", "Thank You Too" and "Evil Urges". Full details here: http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1215365774

And yes, they should have been way up the running order, where Primal Scream were. I wasn't sure if Mani was a cardboard cut-out at one stage.

Thanks dude! Wink

englishbob

Back to top Go down

Post  oldraver Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Yeah, they should have been further up the order. I don't mind a bit of Primal Scream, but after Supergrass..no. It also meant that the people who just got pissed all afternoon, then pushed down to the front to drunkenly "mosh", because the only bands they knew or even liked were PS and Supergrass.

Besides..Neil showed them how to rock. But Jim James and the Jacket would have been even better later on. As would, maybe..Guillemots.

oldraver

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day... Empty All the acts were pretty good...

Post  tomandlu Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:38 pm

... but Neil certainly showed why he was top of the bill. It was like watching Mr Wolf go to work in Pulp Fiction. The only act that came close IMHO was Rufus W.

tomandlu

Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  loper Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:51 pm

"Does anyone know the first 3 songs that MMJ played in their set, I wasn't expecting to be blown away by them, but I was. Most of what followed in their set wasn't as good, I was just interested in the first 3...."

If One Big Holiday doesn't blow you away, I dont know what would!?!

MMJ should have been 2nd billing. THey are regarded by many high profile critics as in the top 5 best live bands on the planet.

Their set was over almost before it started and their choice of material was compromised by the lack of time to stretch out.

There was no time to include such epics as Dondante, Steam Engine, The Bear, Run Thru, etc., etc., nor for Jim James to do a solo set.

Plus, the golden rule of festivals, that only the headliner can have the amps turned up took away from MMJ's epic live sound.

loper

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  oldraver Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:04 pm

tomandlu wrote:... but Neil certainly showed why he was top of the bill. It was like watching Mr Wolf go to work in Pulp Fiction. The only act that came close IMHO was Rufus W.

He was brilliant, wasn't he.? When the sun came out as he was singing Hallelujah..well....a memory to treasure. That voice..he makes it all look so effortless.

Still laffin' at Mr Wolf...spot on.

oldraver

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day... Empty MMJ

Post  karlhungus Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:16 pm

MMJ should have been 2nd billing. THey are regarded by many high profile critics as in the top 5 best live bands on the planet.

Their set was over almost before it started and their choice of material was compromised by the lack of time to stretch out.

There was no time to include such epics as Dondante, Steam Engine, The Bear, Run Thru, etc., etc., nor for Jim James to do a solo set.

Couldn't agree more - MMJ are a towering live act, and quite possibly the hairiest band on the planet right now. Well, at least until Two-Tone Tommy had a haircut. They're playing the London Forum on the 15th, I'll be there, but I'll be leaving my car at home. Very Happy

karlhungus

Back to top Go down

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day... Empty My Morning Jacket

Post  Paul_H_42 Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Dissident note here - I thought they were pretty unremarkable. My brother-in-law summed them up as sounding like one 70s band after another, and that seems right to me - characterless. Guillemots to me seemed more interesting.

Paul_H_42

Back to top Go down

Post  englishbob Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Paul_H_42 wrote:Dissident note here - I thought they were pretty unremarkable. My brother-in-law summed them up as sounding like one 70s band after another, and that seems right to me - characterless. Guillemots to me seemed more interesting.

Can I have your brother-in-laws quote on Primal Scream please... Very Happy

englishbob

Back to top Go down

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day... Empty Primal Scream and MMJ

Post  Paul_H_42 Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Should MMJ have been higher up the bill and PS lower down? I'm indifferent to that too, probably. For the first 20 minutes I was jumping around to PS but then lost interest - the rythmic monotony of it got to me. (Not that I've got anything against repetition - going back to the 70s, Can did a lot of this first and better, IMO.)

If it comes down to it, I was there out of deference to other people's enthusiasms, so the bill wasn't aimed at me. Perhaps MMJ were great at what they do, but I don't feel moved to hear them again/more. Young was great, but especially when he was distorting his guitar etc. I prefer the 'Godfather of Grunge' to 'Country Neil'.

Paul_H_42

Back to top Go down

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day... Empty MMJ

Post  airguitarhero Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:30 pm

Thought they were fabulous, it's a shame most of the bands suffered a poor sound which only appeared to improve when Neil came on.

airguitarhero

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day... Empty Horses for courses and all that

Post  karlhungus Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:45 pm

It is of course horses for courses - each to their own and all that. Smile I actually thought the sound was pretty good throughout, the only place it was a problem for me was when I was too far away from the stage (ie, queueing for the toilets) - I think the windy conditions were to blame for that. I though MMJ sounded great, but I was closer to the stage for them and Neil Young. I thought the video screens were excellent too. The thing with MMJ's set, they didn't really have the time to get going, only 45 minutes. They deserved alot more.

karlhungus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bermuda Highway Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:46 pm

I thought MMJ were great, though a few more early songs would've been great, but "One Big Holiday" made up for it.
Primal Scream were very dull I thought (though not as dull as Rufus, how he managed to squeeze all the life out of Hallelujah is beyond me) i've seen them 3/4 times before and always emjoyed them, they came on 5 minutes early and left 15 minutes early! that's another 20 minutes that MMj could've/should've played.
The car park mess and rain aside the only other annoying thing was all the bloody deck chairs, we tried to get close for MMJ's set but couldn't because of the Saga gang camped out in rows of chairs not even watching anyone! most frustrating.

Bermuda Highway

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  paddys wink Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:38 pm

guillimots sucked
mmj average
rufus diobolical
the joni mitchell wanabee tedious
supergrass average
apart from the star of the show it was a criminal line up ,but the beer numbed the pain

paddys wink

Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  bigvernon Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:54 pm

paddys wink wrote:guillimots sucked
mmj average
rufus diobolical
supergrass average
apart from the star of the show it was a criminal line up ,but the beer numbed the pain of being a bigot and a numpty

Hahahaha! My favourite winker! Rolling Eyes

bigvernon

Number of posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  paddys wink Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm

bigot hmmmmmmmmmmm how dya figure

paddys wink

Back to top Go down

Post  misterj Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:16 pm

mmj average
rufus diobolical
supergrass average
apart from the star of the show it was a criminal line up ,but the beer numbed the pain

This just about sums it up perfectly. I watched the various support acts more in hope than expectation and my hopes were dashed bigstyle. MMJ were the only acceptable act and the rest would have been better put to use sweeping the stage in preperation for a true artist, Mr Young. How bad is that Rufus Wainright? Droning on and on in a tuneless boring monotone, fucking dreadful. It wasn't so long ago that dross like all except one of these so called artists would have been bottled off stage, and quite rightly so.

misterj

Back to top Go down

Post  janmoomoo Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:24 pm

oldraver wrote:]

He was brilliant, wasn't he.? When the sun came out as he was singing Hallelujah..well....a memory to treasure.

That was fantastic, everyone was cheering! Someone up there was having a good laugh too!

I thought MMJ were fabulous and I didnt really know any of their stuff.

janmoomoo

Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  paddys wink Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:33 pm

misterj wrote:
mmj average
rufus diobolical
supergrass average

This just about sums it up perfectly. I watched the various support acts more in hope than expectation and my hopes were dashed bigstyle. MMJ were the only acceptable act and the rest would have been better put to use sweeping the stage in preperation for a true artist, Mr Young. How bad is that Rufus Wainright? Droning on and on in a tuneless boring monotone, fucking dreadful. It wasn't so long ago that dross like all except one of these so called artists would have been bottled off stage, and quite rightly so.
did ya call me

paddys wink

Back to top Go down

Post  misterj Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:42 pm

paddys wink wrote:
misterj wrote:
mmj average
rufus diobolical
supergrass average

did ya call me

Yes, someone thinks Rufus W. was "brilliant" do you think that was an acurate assessment of his performance?

misterj

Back to top Go down

Post  bigvernon Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:43 pm

paddys wink wrote:bigot hmmmmmmmmmmm how dya figure

Oh, just a couple of comments you made about "Pikies" and "pissing where you like - like gypos".
Of course, you may have said that with tongue firmly in cheek......?

bigvernon

Back to top Go down

Post  paddys wink Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:51 pm

bigvernon wrote:
paddys wink wrote:bigot hmmmmmmmmmmm how dya figure

Oh, just a couple of comments you made about "Pikies" and "pissing where you like - like gypos".
Of course, you may have said that with tongue firmly in cheek......?
no,there was no tounge in cheek.i dispise pykies

paddys wink

Back to top Go down

Post  bigvernon Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:53 pm

I suspected as much. Ho hum.

bigvernon

Back to top Go down

My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day... Empty my mornig j

Post  wizard2953 Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:58 pm

or my morning jacket potato as they became affectionatly known during the day

should have been between super grass and primal scream to break up the monotony of the similar bands

go on to u tube u will find a spectacular performance by them with a small orchestra on an American chat show they are all in dinner jackets breath of fresh air during the day

rufus wainwright was wrist slitting whinning awfullness what an artist to have on just as the sun came back out

wizard2953

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next