My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: My Morning Jacket - setlist? - and general thoughts of the day...

Post  paddys wink on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:59 pm

misterj wrote:
paddys wink wrote:
misterj wrote:
paddys wink wrote:guillimots sucked
mmj average
rufus diobolical
the joni mitchell wanabee tedious
supergrass average
apart from the star of the show it was a criminal line up ,but the beer numbed the pain

This just about sums it up perfectly. I watched the various support acts more in hope than expectation and my hopes were dashed bigstyle. MMJ were the only acceptable act and the rest would have been better put to use sweeping the stage in preperation for a true artist, Mr Young. How bad is that Rufus Wainright? Droning on and on in a tuneless boring monotone, fucking dreadful. It wasn't so long ago that dross like all except one of these so called artists would have been bottled off stage, and quite rightly so.
did ya call me

Yes, someone thinks Rufus W. was "brilliant" do you think that was an acurate assessment of his performance?
no

paddys wink

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-07-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverOfDeceit on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:04 pm

Did anyone see Everest? I thought they were fantastic! And MMJ blew me away again, saw them supporting Pearl Jam a while back. They opened with Golden, my favourite!
Shame not everyone liked everything, but that's bound to be the case. Generally I thought it was really good, wasn't keen on Rufus or Guillemots but it's part n' parcel and the least you can do is at give them a chance.

RiverOfDeceit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trevorc on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:25 pm

paddys wink wrote:guillimots sucked
mmj average
rufus diobolical
the joni mitchell wanabee tedious
supergrass average
apart from the star of the show it was a criminal line up ,but the beer numbed the pain

Good job we are all different isn't it
I thought MMJ were really good although a bit 70s ish
Rufus easily the best thing of the day after Neil
The Joni Mitchell wanabee, ie Lara Marling excellent, a great talent very diificult to do early on festival bills
Supergrass, great live band
Guillemots, suffer from White Album syndrome, an amazing collection of songs but no continuity to hold them together
Everest excellent openers
Primal who?

trevorc

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Strummer/Jones on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:50 am

oldraver wrote:Yeah, they should have been further up the order. I don't mind a bit of Primal Scream, but after Supergrass..no. It also meant that the people who just got pissed all afternoon, then pushed down to the front to drunkenly "mosh", because the only bands they knew or even liked were PS and Supergrass.

Yep, that's called 'going to a festival'! I understand that Primal Scream would upset a few NY die-hards, and I am clearly in the minority in thinking they are on a par with sliced bread in the 'best thing' stakes, but just a couple of points;

1,Don't try and sit on a blanket 30 yards in front of the stage with your Fortnum & Mason hamper when the main support band is coming on! Either stand up, or move back. Believe it or not, Primal Scream had a good number of their own fans there who were going to head for the front, ourselves included, and on the way there were some 'casualties', who were perhaps expecting more of a 'Proms in the Park' event than a rock festival.

2, Supergrass were going through the motions. I thought it was a sad demise for a once-pretty-good band. Whereas Primal Scream, who I will happily admit have had their dodgy periods along the way, still kicked it, as their ability to piss off a lot of you shows! Long may it continue.

3, Neil Young was sublime.

Strummer/Jones

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  oldraver on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Fortnum and Mason hamper..wot you on abaht....I was on hash brownies..standing for 11 hours. What's your excuse..?

I like Primal Scream, mate..but with the best will in the world, they'll always be nuthin' but a well paid Stones tribute act.

oldraver

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thuoghts on the day

Post  Chalkies_shorts on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:35 pm

I came by car and getting parked up and getting nito the festival was really easy. My thoughts on the bands - Everest - pretty good. Laura Marling - didn't rate. Guillemots - crap. Rufus Wainright - crap. My Morning Jacket - excellent. Supergrass - OK. Primal Scream -- OK. The Man - absolutely top drawer. I don't care if he was self indulgent - he's been that way all his life, he ain't going to change now. Its part of his quirkiness that most of of us love and accept as him being him.
Overall 50 for all the above good value for money. I didn't like some of the artists but I think it was a reasonable line up. I had plenty of room, there were a large number of different caterers. I didn't have a problem with the toilets. There weren't too many arse holes.
The car parking does need sorting out. I didn't get out until 1:30 and got back to Swindon at 4am. I expected to be stuck there for a while but not the anarchy that ensued. It was unprofessional and downright dangerous. This really is an area that needs serious attention. The number of exits weren't the problem it was the complete lack of stewarding. If I knew I'd have to sit in the car for 2 1/2 hours would I still have gone - yes. Would I go next year - not sure.
If Vince Power can get that sorted then he may have a good festival on his hands.

Chalkies_shorts

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-04-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2