Hop Farm Festival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Welcome To The Revolution, Robespierre!"

5 posters

Go down

"Welcome To The Revolution, Robespierre!" Empty "Welcome To The Revolution, Robespierre!"

Post  wintermute Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:58 am

The Hop Farm Festival was the first I've been to since the early Eighties, and I had a much better time than I had any real reason to expect, given the general demand for instant gratification that so many people seem to be obsessed with nowadays! It was completely obvious beforehand that transport was probably going to be a complete nightmare; car park problems notwithstanding, the narrow back roads of Kent in the dark are always going to be a challenge. If you thought this was crap, you should have tried travellinging to the free festivals at Stonehenge back in the day! It seems to me that far too many people pay lip service to the bohemian festival lifestyle until forced out of their comfort zones, upon which all the toys come out of the pram at once... I agree that the car park debacle took the gilt off the gingerbread for a good many people, but we must consider that a site this large, well off the beaten track, is always going to have a limited number of access points; even if the organisation of the exits had been better thought out, the selfish conduct of some individuals would still have caused the bottlenecks and disruption for many people. These were probably the self-same pillocks who needed inflatable sofas down the front... Most of us get to see this "Damn you Jack, I'm all right" attitude demonstrated in roadworks every day all over the country! Crying or Very sad

I've been to a lot of shows over the years, and still see bands both old and new; I thought the varied line-up at the Hop Farm Festival was brilliant! Rufus was great, and Primal Scream were every bit as good as I had hoped they would be. As for Neil, I haven't looked forward to going to a gig so much since I went to see the Grateful Dead in 1990! The music was great, and if the non-corporate stance remains, how about VP trying to book Pearl Jam for next year?!

Plus points- the lack of branding, a great line-up, good quality food and merchandise, a lovely relaxed crowd and plenty of space to breathe...
Things that need addressing include the shortage of local beers and food, the state of the toilets, although let's be realistic- the toilet paper always disappears into another dimension within ten seconds of opening the gates despite the best efforts of any organiser! I always bring my own! Very Happy However the long queues were a problem, coupled with the fact that the urinals were full to overflowing at least four hours before the end of the show, which made the ground underfoot a little interesting to put it mildly! No

VP has organised too many shows over the years not to realise that the car park issues need addressing as a matter of urgency before next year, and they've been discussed at length elsewhere on these forums. As long as people are sensible about the length of time it's going to take them to leave, things should be a lot better next time around, assuming the stewarding issues are resolved as a matter of urgency. Somebody did seem to have dropped the ball big time... In future I think I'll book a day's holiday for the day after rather than trying to go into work via the M25 on a Monday morning when it's chucking it down!

Thanks to VP for putting this together; I loved it and I shall come again. It was great to spend a day with like-minded people who had made the effort to come to the show; as for those critics who didn't come, such as the lovely Bloodfart, you really should try to get out more! Somewhere a village is missing its idiot... clown

Cheers, m'dears...

wintermute

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

"Welcome To The Revolution, Robespierre!" Empty Re: "Welcome To The Revolution, Robespierre!"

Post  traffordcat Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 am

Well said, Wintermute!

traffordcat

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

"Welcome To The Revolution, Robespierre!" Empty Re: "Welcome To The Revolution, Robespierre!"

Post  jamesayliffe Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:09 pm

Well said altogether!

jamesayliffe

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

"Welcome To The Revolution, Robespierre!" Empty Buckets of Rain

Post  going to see John Martyn? Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:20 pm

M25 rain was enormous!
Still smiling.

going to see John Martyn?

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

"Welcome To The Revolution, Robespierre!" Empty Pearl Jam, good plan

Post  blue moon Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:59 pm

Pearl Jam is a great idea, I would trek down from the Midlands again to see that.

Saw them once a while ago, they didn't really shine so it would be good to have a second chance.

blue moon

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down