'No food or drink'

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

'No food or drink'

Post  Beas on Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:15 am

Hi

The info page on the site says 'No Food or Drink allowed on site'. What exactly does this mean, considering that festival goers will be on site for approximately 11 hours?

Beas

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'No food or drink'

Post  pearl jam-es on Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:12 pm

I guess it means what it says, which is kinda dissapointing after all the hubbabaloo about going back to the roots of festivals, and being all about us as festival goers. It's gonna mean £5 a pint, and £5 for a hot dog probably No , same as all the others....ho hum. At least we got Neil, he'll cheer us up cheers
pearl jam-es

Number of posts : 8

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/welshjamie

Back to top Go down

Post  BobLog on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Yeah, it does seem rather hypocritical.
I really don't see how forcing us to buy their overpriced food and drink is giving the power back to the punters.
Also dissapointed by the lack of camping. I plan on getting the train down from the north east of scotland, I have no idea what I will do after the festival.

BobLog

Number of posts : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rockininthefreeworld on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:54 pm

Ok I hadn't noticed that. I bought my ticket under the impression you'd be able to take your own stuff. I hate that at festivals, as if you haven't paid enough for the ticket, they then fleece you with the food. Which is lower quality than Tesco Value and higher priced than Waitrose Finest. Very disappointed now, but thanks for pointing this out to me, saves disappointment on the day lol

rockininthefreeworld

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-04-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

No Food or Drink

Post  Yer righ horse on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:58 pm

Enough of these negative thoughts...Hop Farm has its own real ale so I'm expecting top ales. If you drink lager though unlucky shez.

Yer righ horse

Number of posts : 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beas on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:24 am

Yeah, it does sound odd considering the fuss Mr Power is making about 'No Corporate Branding or Sponsorship'. At the end of the day, what benefit is that actually going to be? I couldn't care whether an event is sponsored or not, I just care that I don't get ripped off and the facilities are decent. Like most other people, I guess.

Beas

Number of posts : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  peterwales on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:18 am

Beas wrote:Yeah, it does sound odd considering the fuss Mr Power is making about 'No Corporate Branding or Sponsorship'. At the end of the day, what benefit is that actually going to be? I couldn't care whether an event is sponsored or not, I just care that I don't get ripped off and the facilities are decent. Like most other people, I guess.

Yes, well, I think it was quite clever to use the "brand" of "no branding" to "sell" this festival. I was seriously considering going until I saw the "no own food or drink on site" especially after being dismayed about the "no camping" stipulation. Frankly, this was the last straw. I've got experience of being at the much-missed London Fleadh of the early 90's also run by Vince Power- a great festival in itself, but that same rule of "no food or drink to be brought on site" meant very over-priced junk food and beer, (allright, it was good ale, served up by some sort of worker's co-operative) but it was pretty pricey. The worse was being searched on the entry gates and any booze innocently being brought in, was summarily confiscated by the security staff, never to be seen again. Unlike many of you youngsters who have never seen Neil Young before, I have seen him twice now, and yes, they have been great gigs. But I refuse to go this rip-off, sorry Vince!

peterwales

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-04-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

No food or drink

Post  cortez on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Would it be too much to ask Vince Power for some clarification or excuse on this subject.

cortez

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: no food or drink

Post  Letsimpeachtheprez on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:03 pm

ARGH, ARGH, AARRGGHH!
No food or drink allowed in? Well, no problem really as long as they are selling it, afterall, it's only for one day, or evening if you find a pub first:-)
Though that idea is flawed as the line-up is pretty good!

However, what would happen if someone had special dietary needs, would they be refused entry?
It would also be discrimination. So, I have a cunning plan. Everyonee visit their doctor and get a certificate stating you must have constant access to your own food and drink, or at the very least, drinks at normal pub prices.

Yeah, that should work.

Letsimpeachtheprez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Philosopher King on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Hello all,

As one of the first people to buy a ticket for this, I ordered the tickets for myself and friends, mainly on the grounds that Neil Young was headlining and that this festival was going to be a break from the overpriced, rip-off, corporate-sponsered events that I refuse to attend anymore. I'm grateful to see a corporate free event, but if something like this is going to be a success, and becoming an annual, growing event, then it needs to be run bravely enough. And by bravely enough, I mean that the organisers, who to their credit have been open and communicative with their customers thus far, need to also cut the cord with on-site retailers who year in, year out, take the opportunity to gouge fans of money for food and drink. Put plainly, drink prices in the north of England are bad enough right now with £2.70 to £3.00 being the norm, and probably more in the south.

Are we really going to be forced to buy £5 or even £6 a pint beer, or £5 for a burger and fries at this 'corporate-free', 'for the fans' event Mr. Power? Fans need this posting up in black and white, just like the corporate-free side of this festival has been posted up in black and white to fans and the media alike. I have had what is frankly the priviledge of being able to communicate with the organisers so far, via e-mail on a couple of occasions. I hope this openness extends to answering this particular question, because for festival-goers on a budget (which is pretty much all of us!), this isn't a minor issue. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't planning on taking in 3 litres of gin and inducing liver failure, but if I want a drink, I'd sooner not have to re-mortgage the bungalow for the right to do so!!! lol

Vince - are you really saying that fans can't bring in their own booze? And if so, why? I note that under-12's go free, which is great. But are you planning on telling your security staff to take parents food for their kids off them at the gate, and take granddad's whisky flask off him while his grandchildren watch? I don't care who you hire at the gate, security staff take sick pleasure at every event I go to, in being absolute power-crazed a-holes at these events. For goodness sake, don't turn this into an open-air Manchester Apollo. I saw Neil Young at M/cr Apollo in March - great show, but the blatant Nazism of the security people marred what was a great night. If you stood up to applaud, you had ultra-bright torches shined into your eyes. And so on, and so on. I drift off the point somewhat, but my point is that if you are going to set up an event where the greeting for ticket-holders upon their arrival is the confiscation of their property, i.e. their hard-earned food and drink, you will completely fail at creating the occasion that you say you want - an free-thinking, good-natured day out of fun, camaraderie and music that is centred upon fans' enjoyment.

C'mon Vince, clear this one up - and tell the venders charging £5-£6 a pint that the game is up, they've had their fill and that fans aren't going to take it anymore. Do that, and this festival will outstrip Glastonbury within 5 years. It's in your hands sir and I trust you will do the right thing.

Peace,

Daniel
The Philosopher King

Number of posts : 25

View user profile http://genericblog34.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  peterwales on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:06 am

The Philosopher King wrote:Hello all,

As one of the first people to buy a ticket for this, I ordered the tickets for myself and friends, mainly on the grounds that Neil Young was headlining and that this festival was going to be a break from the overpriced, rip-off, corporate-sponsered events ....

Are we really going to be forced to buy £5 or even £6 a pint beer, or £5 for a burger and fries at this 'corporate-free', 'for the fans' event Mr. Power? Fans need this posting up in black and white, just like the corporate-free side of this festival has been posted up in black and white to fans and the media alike. I have had what is frankly the priviledge of being able to communicate with the organisers so far, via e-mail on a couple of occasions. I hope this openness extends to answering this particular question, because for festival-goers on a budget (which is pretty much all of us!), this isn't a minor issue. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't planning on taking in 3 litres of gin and inducing liver failure, but if I want a drink, I'd sooner not have to re-mortgage the bungalow for the right to do so!!! lol

Vince - are you really saying that fans can't bring in their own booze? And if so, why? I note that under-12's go free, which is great. But are you planning on telling your security staff to take parents food for their kids off them at the gate, and take granddad's whisky flask off him while his grandchildren watch?

C'mon Vince, clear this one up - and tell the venders charging £5-£6 a pint that the game is up, they've had their fill and that fans aren't going to take it anymore. Do that, and this festival will outstrip Glastonbury within 5 years. It's in your hands sir and I trust you will do the right thing.

Peace,

Daniel

Very well said young man!! And as I have indicated in a post somewhere above, this is the main reason that I will not be attending this event. I woudn't be too hopefull about any of this being clarified properly and anybody "doing the right thing". This is all about certain individuals and commercial concerns making lots of money- corporate or not corporate. And yes, when I attended the old Irish Fleadh festivals in North London, promoted by Vince Power, and with the same "no booze, no food to be brought in" rule, the security guards did act like animals, confiscating hidden plastic bottles of wine, the odd sandwich. There are lots of other festivals, (I'm thinking of Cropredy on particular) where there is no problem about bringing in your own food and drink, and it all runs very well, and a good time is had by one and all. There is also a campsite, where you can park your car next to your tent, unlike this event, which I'm sorry to say is starting to feel like (yet another) big rip-ff.

peterwales

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Philosopher King on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:07 am

peterwales wrote:Very well said young man!! And as I have indicated in a post somewhere above, this is the main reason that I will not be attending this event. I woudn't be too hopefull about any of this being clarified properly and anybody "doing the right thing". This is all about certain individuals and commercial concerns making lots of money- corporate or not corporate. And yes, when I attended the old Irish Fleadh festivals in North London, promoted by Vince Power, and with the same "no booze, no food to be brought in" rule, the security guards did act like animals, confiscating hidden plastic bottles of wine, the odd sandwich. There are lots of other festivals, (I'm thinking of Cropredy on particular) where there is no problem about bringing in your own food and drink, and it all runs very well, and a good time is had by one and all. There is also a campsite, where you can park your car next to your tent, unlike this event, which I'm sorry to say is starting to feel like (yet another) big rip-ff.

Thank you Peter! Good to know I'm not alone on this.

I hope you're wrong, I really hope you are, but while I'm just a pup at 28 y.o., what little experience I do have of 'modern' festivals has taught me that you're going to be absolutely right about this. The funny thing is though, if organisers think that this will make them money, they're dead wrong. I can't do it myself, being a youth worker and needing to keep my enhanced CRB clearance nice and polished, but I know for a fact that my ever-sly generation, when faced with a fiver a pint for beer, will retaliate not with words or violence, but by sticking ecstacy tablets, amphetamine and cocaine down their pants instead! If the organisers want several thousand people roaming around high on class A's, then good for them, but I'll be amazed if the beer vendors make even slightly more than 2 buttons, an out of date 50 pence piece and a tub of shit out of the music going punters who turn up to watch class acts like Neil Young. I mean, the people who are coming to Hop Farm aren't a bunch of rave-fan numpties, we're folk, indie and psychedelia fans for crying out loud. This kind of crowd usually has one degree per two people between 'em, and the intellegience to stock up on ANY substance that can be taped to the crack of their asses...lol.

Vince - c'mon, you're a clever man, figure this one out. It's not rocket science. It's this kind of treatment that pushes us all away from the big fests into the welcoming arms of events like Cropredy like Peter said.

Good weekend y'all,

Daniel - oh, and I didn't realise they were planning on screwing up the parking for us as well. Sweet mercy, if this is what happens when you remove the corporate sponsorship, then hell, I'm in favour of a day's brainwashing by Orange, O2 and the like. They may as well give the Army a tent for a recruitment drive while they're at it!!! scratch
The Philosopher King

Back to top Go down

Post  Pixie Broon on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Hey All

I received a call from my friend this morning telling me about this new unbranded festival in Kent- "No sponsors Sammy B- Thought it would be your kinda thing and Neil Young n Primal Scream are Playing it" Excited at this prospect I came online to investigate..
Well well well.. disappointed. No food or drink.! What does that mean.? I agree with Daniel and Peter and everyone else on this discussion board. Vince Power- has he really carried out his research.? I think the festival punter (such as me and you and you) would say one of the main problems with corporate festivals is the price of food and drink.! Mr Power claims he is taking this festival back to roots.?? Call me old fashioned but the ethos of festivals of yester-year was not to rip off the punter. It was about the people and the music. The fact that he is branding this festival as 'unbranded' makes me laugh. I live in the South West Coast of Scotland and I was truly going to attend this festival but NO not now. It will be the same as every other corporate festival: Overpriced food and drink, Security City and People Crammed in with no place to sit and chill.
I am surprised that Primal Scream and Neil Young have agreed to play this with the 'No food or drink' Rule. Also No Camping.. Well I find it difficult to accept that this is a festival.. it's not, Is it.? I don't think so.
May I take this opportunity to recommend 2 wonderful festivals North of the Border.. The Wickerman and Knockengorroch. These are festivals which I will be attending and yes people you can camp and bring in your own food and drink.! I conclude that there is never any bother at these festivals and that they are a happy occasion where people of all ages join together to celebrate music, art and creativity.
Maybe see you there.!

Peace, Love n CHEESE

Sammy B x pirat

Pixie Broon

Registration date : 2008-04-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  peterwales on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:04 pm

To be fair, and to put this into some context, I know from a friend who used to run an "ethnic" food stall at various outdoor events, any food providers usually have to pay an upfront "rental" to put up their stall for the day. This can be huge, esp. at big festivals such as Glastonbury, and I know that some stall-holders may actually struggle to make much of a profit after having to pay-up this initial amount. I don't know what the set-up at this "festival" is, but it still means that people usually have to pay well over the odds for beer and burgers, etc. It usually also means that even if the food stall owners aren't making much of a profit- the promoter of the festival is making even more by charging this upfront rental. So, no, I still won't be going. Incidentally, I may have mis-read the article, but Vince Power was in a newspaper piece about Glastonbury recently, saying (if I got this correct) that he didn't see anything wrong with people selling their tickets for Glastonbury at 4 times their original amount on E-bay as this was just private enterprise! Maybe that tells us something?
As for the no-camping thing, two of the very big one-day "festivals" in the mid-70's, I attended- Pink Floyd at Knebworth(1975), and Dylan at Blackbush(1978), both attended by about 200,000 each- there was no camping at either, and it was impossible to leave the car-parks all night due to the sheer numbers, so we amused ourselves in the way people did in those days- by smoking stuff that it's illegal to smoke and so on and so forth. But that was then, and this is now, and I still think it's outrageous there is no provision for own food or drink or for camping overnight.

peterwales

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re No Food Or Drink

Post  cybr40hn on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi All.
I contacted the Vince Power Group and got this email response:

Hi Cyril,

There are a number of reasons that food and drink cannot be brought into the
festival, Health & Safety being the main one. Also, having vendors on-site
helps small local food sellers make money. Vince Power Music Group doesn't
make profit from the vendors selling food.

Thanks for getting in touch,

Patrick Power-Ryce

Vince Power Music Group
Handrail House,
65 Maygrove Road,
London NW6 2QN
020 7644 1420

www.hopfarmfestival.com

www.vpmg.net

So there we have the answer, it's all down to Health & Safety! Of course, we should have known that. Rolling Eyes Well, if you think you want to voice your opinion there is an email address, it's patrick.power-ryce@vpmg.net Wink

cybr40hn

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  redstranger on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:37 am

I don't imagine that the food will be any more expensive than at other festivals and special dietary needs aside, I don't see a problem with this. This is a 30,000 capacity festival, with tickets priced at under £50. I had to pay £80 face value to see Neil Young on his UK tour, and although I know I won't be getting 3 hours of him this time, I still think this festival offers great value for money. The line-up is excellent and the bands have to get paid! With no corporate sponsorship they can only charge so much for a pitch to sell food and I am sure the vendors need some assurance that they will actually sell food (health and safety aside). Unless you are glutenous (like me) you surely won't need to buy more than two meals there, which should be done for £10, unless you are actually going to drink beer then I don't see the need to spend more than £10-£20 on beer, less for non-alcoholic beverages, making the price no more than Neil Young's UK tour but for seven top quality acts with food and drink into the deal. Also, I can't remember the last time I was able to take food or drink into any kind of one-day gig, so this really comes as no surprise to me.

I think with the outrageous prices of gigs these days, this is one heck of a great value day out, even if we have to buy food and drink from the venue. Personally I am skint, and shouldn't have bought a ticket to this day at the farm, but still can't knock it for value even with the no food or drink policy. And I am glad it's not sponsored as I hate all that cr@p, and it would have made no difference to the cost of food or drink at the venue.

As for no camping, you can't really expect that for a one day event. It may be inconvenient for those living too far to travel back afterwards, but that's the case no matter where a one-day event is held, be it Glasgow or Kent. There are some cheap Travelodge style places not that far from the venue near the Dartford tunnel, either side of it I believe. Some did have some great deals at £25 per night, not sure if any are left now though.

I expect to get slated for bucking the trend of opinion on this one, but I just felt I needed to add an alternative viewpoint - and no, I have no connections to the organisers.

redstranger

Registration date : 2008-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No food or drink

Post  highway61revisited on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:18 am

the people who can't afford the food inside the festival may fight the ones who can, it could be all out war!!!

highway61revisited

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-04-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fhionnlagh cunnertach on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:32 pm

Whilst I'm as much against the overpriced beer and junk food at these events as the next person I must say this is fairly normal practise and doesn't put me off. I'm pretty sure Neil's gig at Finsbury Park in 1993 was the same!

Personally I shall probably have a large pie washed down by "a few ales" before going in...

The worst experience of this kind I had was when I went to see the Manics at Lancashire Cricket Ground in Manchester a few years back. They had a similar rule, but only sold awful Kaltenburg lager which was about 2.8% abv (presumably to prevent anyone actually getting remotely drunk).

fhionnlagh cunnertach

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sussexred on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:08 am

fhionnlagh cunnertach wrote:The worst experience of this kind I had was when I went to see the Manics at Lancashire Cricket Ground in Manchester a few years back. They had a similar rule, but only sold awful Kaltenburg lager which was about 2.8% abv (presumably to prevent anyone actually getting remotely drunk).

Given that Vince is supporting local traders, and the local hop and cider heritage, I expect to be able to sample Shepherd Neame ales and Biddenden cider bounce cheers

sussexred

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  peterwales on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Given that Vince is supporting local traders, and the local hop and cider heritage, I expect to be able to sample Shepherd Neame ales and Biddenden cider bounce cheers[/quote]

Hear, hear! I drunk Biddenden cider once , in Canterbury, where my daughter will be going to university later this year. All I can say, it's a very good reason to go to Kent - university, music festival whatever; best cider I've drunk in years!

peterwales

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Philosopher King on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:51 pm

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I agree that it is the 'norm' nowadays for such festivals to have these rules, and if the beer/ale/cider etc. is really going to be local produce, then I don't mind a slight premium to ensure that the vendors have the opportunity to make a reasonable profit. It's just the principle of the matter, and this festival whilst certainly no worse than most others on principles, is unfortunately no better either.

But at the previous few posters have reminded me, it will not put me off either from a great day of music.

As long as there is no attempt at banning the smoking of cigarettes on the day, I'll be fine. But I seriously have started checking festival by-rules, because it's only a matter of time...lol.

As for the no-camping, it's a shame nothing is available, but again, Hop Farm is just no different. I guess when folks get excited (and quite rightly too!) by the 'no sponsorship, no VIP area', etc. etc., we get our hopes up that further goodnesses may come to pass as well. I guess it's a step-by-step process back to normality when it comes to kicking the BS out of the modern festival. I sincerely hope this festival is a sign of the continuing devolution of festivals back to a purer ideal of what they're meant to be. A celebration of music and culture, as opposed to a very muddy shopping trip to an outdoor mobile phone shop!

See ya all there. I wonder who the 7th and final act will be? The only thing that could top Neil Young would be John and George being brought back from the other world. I will settle for Mercury Rev though (I'm not fussy).

Daniel
The Philosopher King

Back to top Go down

No Food or Drink

Post  Jessol on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:16 pm

Just spoken to a lovely girl at VPMG regarding the food and drink ban and it seems as there as been some change of attitude. It is no longer a health & safety issue but now a Ďgreení one. They donít want bottles and litter all over the field. Also they are now allowing in your own food and plastic bottles of water but not as I suggested a box of wine! They are trying to champion local wares (which I donít have a problem with) but could not give me a list of vendors or any indication of prices. They are in talks with British Rail and a transport expert(!) regarding getting people away from the gig and are hopeful of laying on extra trains and shuttle buses away from the site to train/bus stations etc. It is estimated that it will finish around 11:30pm

Jessol

Registration date : 2008-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Philosopher King on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Jessol wrote:Just spoken to a lovely girl at VPMG regarding the food and drink ban and it seems as there as been some change of attitude. It is no longer a health & safety issue but now a Ďgreení one. They donít want bottles and litter all over the field. Also they are now allowing in your own food and plastic bottles of water but not as I suggested a box of wine! They are trying to champion local wares (which I donít have a problem with) but could not give me a list of vendors or any indication of prices. They are in talks with British Rail and a transport expert(!) regarding getting people away from the gig and are hopeful of laying on extra trains and shuttle buses away from the site to train/bus stations etc. It is estimated that it will finish around 11:30pm

Now that's a step in the right direction, esp. with the transport issue, although I hope the transport expert is French, or German, or Japanese, 'cos we don't have any experts on this island... Shocked . If the intention is to promote local booze, then cool too I guess. Would have been nice to mix in some Kent cider with my trusty bottle of 4.99 Morinov vodka though. Very Happy

Thanks for the info Jessol,

Daniel
The Philosopher King

Back to top Go down

Post  peterwales on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:38 am

On reflection, it probably makes sense to not allow glass bottles in, as broken glass trampled into the grass with about 30,000 people milling round could be very dangerous-obviously- but I don't see why booze, soft drinks and your own food can't be allowed as long as they are in plastic containers. let's face it there are many outdoor festivals/events/concerts where these arrangements apply, and the food ventors still seem to do good business- I'm thinking Cropredy in particular, but also many other events where whole families can be seen eating their own prepared food and drink, yet there are still long queues for the Mexican tacos/Indian veggie curries/wholefood flapjack vans. As for helping local produce?- well, yes, fine as long as it is that- and not an excuse to bring in the local (and not so local) greasy burger and hot dog brigade.
I just think people need to have the choice- I also think there is something a bit immoral about telling, say, a family group, (which you will have at a Neil Young concert) that they can't have their own food for a whole day.
As for the no-camping rule? Sorry that is just unreasonable- people will want to have a good time, have a drink, etc. and not worry about driving home, or having to catch late night buses and trains, especially if they need to make late night connections to various parts of the country.

peterwales

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Food & Drink

Post  mast2299 on Thu May 08, 2008 1:04 pm

You guys that are getting wound up about no food & drink should look at the web site again because it doesn't say no food allowed. It actually says no glass & alcohol allowed. Have a goodun!

mast2299

Registration date : 2008-05-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next