Hop Farm Festival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travel after the show

+10
jimbhoy
rojo
Strummer/Jones
The Philosopher King
sps73
siobhan
peterwales
Evil Elvis
rockininthefreeworld
fhionnlagh cunnertach
14 posters

Go down

Travel after the show Empty Travel after the show

Post  fhionnlagh cunnertach Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:08 am

Anybody know if there's any additional travel arrangements after Hop Farm? I really don't want to drive but it seems there's not much public transport. Otherwise jolly excited about seeing Neil again this year. Awesome at Hammersmith.

fhionnlagh cunnertach

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Back to top Go down

Travel after the show Empty Re: Travel after the show

Post  rockininthefreeworld Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:57 pm

My plan is to drive down in the morning, then sleep in the car for a few hours before heading back afterwards. It seems about the only option because I can't afford paying for somewhere to stay and I don't fancy driving from Liverpool to Kent and back in the space of a few hours.

Last edited by rockininthefreeworld on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total

rockininthefreeworld

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Elvis Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:23 pm

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Don't fancy driving so was going to go by train to London, then hopefully get a train back in the evening (whatever time it finishes).

Evil Elvis

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  peterwales Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:37 am

rockininthefreeworld wrote:My plan is to drive down in the morning, then sleep in the car for a few hours before heading back afterwards. It seems about the only option because I can't afford paying for somewhere to stay and I don't fancy driving from Liverpool to Kent and back in the space of a few hours.

Sleeping in the car for a few hours, (and hopefully for the best part of the night!) is probably your best option. Reckon there will be many others with the same idea. Certainly advisable if you have had one or two drinks before setting off on the return journey. What happened to all the environmentally aware stuff about having to have decent and convenient public transport to dissuade people from usng their cars??

peterwales

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  fhionnlagh cunnertach Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:11 pm

Didn't really want to drive, as I will almost certainly having a beer or two. I'm hoping they might put extra trains on or buses.

fhionnlagh cunnertach

Back to top Go down

Travel after the show Empty Transport

Post  siobhan Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:56 pm

I contacted the Vince Power Group last week and they said that they were employing someone to organise the transport who would start this week. They confirmed that transport would absolutely run back to London. If national express run the buses as they did for the connect festival in Inverary they will run to all major towns and cities.

Or I'll be putting my tent up my jumper along with my sandwiches! What are the laws about trespassing in England anyway?

siobhan

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  fhionnlagh cunnertach Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Ah that sounds good, central london is a start...

fhionnlagh cunnertach

Back to top Go down

Travel after the show Empty travel after the show

Post  sps73 Sat May 03, 2008 6:59 pm

I think a lot of people are going to go for the option for sleeping in cars after the day's festivities, as the return transport looks lousy on a Sunday night from experience it'll take about 3 hours to get out of the car park, then roughly a 2 hour drive to London = 5am on a Monday morning! No thanks. Having dossed in the car after the one day Knebworth in 1991, it's not a bad option. Has anybody got an open channel to confirm with the Vince Power group if there is likely to be a problem if people stay in their cars until the early morning?

sps73

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  The Philosopher King Wed May 14, 2008 2:28 am

sps73 wrote:I think a lot of people are going to go for the option for sleeping in cars after the day's festivities, as the return transport looks lousy on a Sunday night from experience it'll take about 3 hours to get out of the car park, then roughly a 2 hour drive to London = 5am on a Monday morning! No thanks. Having dossed in the car after the one day Knebworth in 1991, it's not a bad option. Has anybody got an open channel to confirm with the Vince Power group if there is likely to be a problem if people stay in their cars until the early morning?

That's a good question. Will we even be allowed to stay in our cars, or are we going to be forced to drive drunk? As stupid as that question sounds, in this country, it isn't outside of the realms of possibility... drunken Although having never driven drunk before, as long as I'm surrounded by 10,000 other drunk drivers, I suppose it could be a fun experience. Like the dodgems, but with my insurance company paying for the ride... Very Happy

PK
The Philosopher King
The Philosopher King

Number of posts : 25

http://genericblog34.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Elvis Wed May 14, 2008 10:31 pm

Well, the website has been updated with coach information for those travelling from London. Tickets available from seetickets at about £20.00. Or well, little choice but to buy one really as no late trains.

Evil Elvis

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  The Philosopher King Wed May 14, 2008 11:07 pm

Well, this makes the option of London hotels a great deal easier to work with.

Another fine move by the festival organisers, who seem to really be listening to their clientele. Well played. Cool

PK Very Happy
The Philosopher King
The Philosopher King

Number of posts : 25

http://genericblog34.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Strummer/Jones Thu May 15, 2008 10:06 am

Hmmmm, so it appears that there will be no transport back to nearby towns, Tonbridge, for example? Bummer, having booked to stay there!

Strummer/Jones

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Travel after the show Empty Travel after the show

Post  rojo Thu May 15, 2008 5:37 pm

In the absence of a designated driver , sober stand in and a coordinated approach from the organisers , I am reluctantly going to remove the spark plugs from my campervan . My only choice to stay with the vehicle until help arrives. Enough time to fry up a couple of bacon sarnies (no food during the day) and watch the world go by (in a sleeping bag).Should the pressure to move be placed upon me ( which may result in a pseudo epileptic turn) then my breakdown support team and Ambulance crew may be called into action and assist me on my way.Should we all follow this model our collective waiting time for these services may mean we could probably stay an extra night if wanted.

Long live non premium based insurance schemes and western health service capabilities.

RoJo

rojo

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post  peterwales Fri May 16, 2008 1:10 am

rojo wrote:In the absence of a designated driver , sober stand in and a coordinated approach from the organisers , I am reluctantly going to remove the spark plugs from my campervan . My only choice to stay with the vehicle until help arrives. Enough time to fry up a couple of bacon sarnies (no food during the day) and watch the world go by (in a sleeping bag).Should the pressure to move be placed upon me ( which may result in a pseudo epileptic turn) then my breakdown support team and Ambulance crew may be called into action and assist me on my way.Should we all follow this model our collective waiting time for these services may mean we could probably stay an extra night if wanted.

RoJo

I am not going- mainly because of the "cheek" of not allowing people to camp, and expecting them to drive and not drink, (best part of a day in high summer, listening to music, but not being able to have more than a couple of pints?? Come on Vince Power!) -or expecting people to pay high prices, to use what sounds like inadequete and inconvenient public transport. I would never condone drink-driving, so I think the above is an excellent idea, and I think all who are going in their own cars should do it!

peterwales

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-04-15

Back to top Go down

Travel after the show Empty travel

Post  jimbhoy Fri May 16, 2008 1:30 am

hello strummer/jones,we are also staying in tonbridge for the gig so if you wanna share a cab to and from the gig im your man,,just say the word

jimbhoy

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Ant Fri May 16, 2008 11:25 am

jimbhoy wrote:hello strummer/jones,we are also staying in tonbridge for the gig so if you wanna share a cab to and from the gig im your man,,just say the word

I was just wondering how easy it would be to book a taxi for after the gig!! Will it just be a case of waiting in what could potentially be a rather large queue and then jumping into what ever taxi is there? I cannot see you going to various taxi's asking "Is this the one booked for Fred Smith" !?!? Or I imagine the best tact would be "Who are you booked for?" and answering yes to whoever they say!! (This is probably a stupid question but why break the habit of a lifetime!)

We are camping near by (not actually sure how near!!) and are hoping to just simply walk/stagger but you never know.

What a Face

Big Ant

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Bermuda Highway Fri May 16, 2008 7:58 pm

Where are you camping?
we're trying to sort out what we're gonna do, four of us driving down from Liverpool, don't really wanna sleep int he car.

Bermuda Highway

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  rockininthefreeworld Sat May 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Bermuda Highway wrote:Where are you camping?
we're trying to sort out what we're gonna do, four of us driving down from Liverpool, don't really wanna sleep int he car.
Yeah I'm going from Liverpool too, and given the length of the drive I don't fancy having to go there and back in the same day so I'll probably attempt to sleep in the car. If they were to provide a camping area on site though, I'm sure there will be enough space, I am willing to pay a small additional fee.

rockininthefreeworld

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Bermuda Highway Sun May 18, 2008 5:52 pm

I think we're gonna head over to Jackethead's festival (10 miles from the site)
Soumds like a lot of fun, send him a msg for more details.

Bermuda Highway

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  janmoomoo Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:48 pm

I doubt there will be taxis just touting for customers. Most taxi drivers round here go to bed early! You will have to have one booked. And nicking someone elses taxi and leaving them stranded aint nice (that means you big ant!!) Also be aware that the hop farm isnt really near anything apart from fields and darkness. A long walk to civilisation. Better to get something sorted than leave it to chance.

janmoomoo

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Travel after the show Empty taxis

Post  avacado Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:15 am

Hey guys....there actually will be a taxi ring and the organisers have called licensed taxi companies who plan to keep the ring as full as possible.
Smile

avacado

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down