Hop Farm Festival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Ale availability at the festival

+7
shakeymc
jimbhoy
fishbus
loper
thegreatknobster
Fleetwoodblack
jonorangesky
11 posters

Go down

Real Ale availability at the festival Empty Real Ale availability at the festival

Post  jonorangesky Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Now it stands to reason does it not that many Neil Young fans would be fussy about their choice of beer. Any promoter who is 'with the people' would realize this. However, I recall at Fleadh events in London in the past, also run by Vince Power, the beer choice was canned Caffreys at an unprintable price (but don't expect much of your fiver left!) - and this from the "Workers Beer Cooperative" - with a name like that you might expect to get a good pint of draught beer. BTW wine drinkers their white wine in a plastic beaker was er....'orrible!

Has anyone got any inside information as to whether there will be any draught beer on sale at the event? Even better, what ones?! I guess there is some hope as the same site hosts a beer festival, but I guess it is all down to who has got the bar concessions.

If no one has inside information then Vince, my friend, spill the beans coz forums are all about you hearing the voice of the customer and you can bet an awful lot on the fact I am not a lone voice on this subject!

jonorangesky

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Real Ale availability at the festival Empty Re: Real Ale availability at the festival

Post  Fleetwoodblack Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:34 pm

It would be a tragedy to have no Real Ale at the festival seeing as its based at a 'temple' to beer making..I would expect some real ale in a tent.. drunken

....but then again the way festivals are going (even glasto) the power of the Carlings of this worlds and the portfolio of crap lagers they usually have..i wouldn't be surprised if deals have been done and we'll or won't! be drinking Carffreys and Carling and in plastic cups at inflated prices ..grrrr! No

A Real drink, real ale please Mr Power

Fleetwoodblack

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Real Ale availability at the festival Empty Re: Real Ale availability at the festival

Post  thegreatknobster Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:31 am

take your hooch in a water bottle whos gonna know?

thegreatknobster

Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  loper Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:29 pm

thegreatknobster wrote:take your hooch in a water bottle whos gonna know?

Shepherd Neame Master Brew Bitter is NOT the colour of water!

loper

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  fishbus Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:33 pm

But does it taste like it? Smile

fishbus

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Real Ale availability at the festival Empty drink

Post  jimbhoy Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:10 pm

im just back from the hard rock calling festival and it seems tuborg lager is the main beer on offer at £3.50 a 500 ml bottle,noticed that at other festivals also,,

jimbhoy

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  fishbus Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:17 pm

I sincerely hope this is not the case at the Hop Farm! Approx £4 for a pint of p!ss poor lager....surely we can expect better than that - can't we? Evil or Very Mad

fishbus

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Real Ale availability at the festival Empty drink

Post  jimbhoy Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:33 pm

i just drank loads of pear cider the whole weekend same price same bottle 500ml

jimbhoy

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Real Ale availability at the festival Empty Real Ale?

Post  shakeymc Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:50 am

The Hop Farm normally run all the alcohol outlets; on past visits to major events the selection is fizzy larger and John Smiths!

shakeymc

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Real Ale availability at the festival Empty Real Ale!

Post  shakeymc Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:55 am

Lager! 'hic' geek

shakeymc

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  bigvernon Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:10 am

shakeymc wrote:The Hop Farm normally run all the alcohol outlets; on past visits to major events the selection is fizzy larger and John Smiths!

I don't like the sound of that at all. I can see some serious smuggling ahead!

bigvernon

Number of posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  Manofkent Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:29 pm

I've been to the Hop Farm, mostly for the War and Peace show, on several occasions over the years and Shepherd Neame normally have a beer tent there. So crossed fingers

Manofkent

Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Real Ale availability at the festival Empty Thanks for the support - where's the ale Vince?

Post  jonorangesky Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:53 pm

It is good to have so much support for my original email - thanks. I note no response from the festival itself which is of course disappointing. Given the cancellation of Wild in the Country festival tomorrow due to poor ticket sales (Vince Power is also involved with that festival) it is surely those festivals that listen carefully to their customers who will win in the end.

I'm going this evening to a small music festival in Sussex called Glastonwick. There will be 60 real ales, 5 bands and all for £7! Now that is what I call value for money! OK, there are no big names but in a crowded market place, a big name is not enough anymore to have a successful event

This year, Vince might get away with serving us over priced lager....but as the competition picks up, I advise him to listen to the likes of us.

BTW, the best festival in the world is the End of the Road Festival. If you have not heard about it yet, check it out!

jonorangesky

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  loper Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Real Ale bar was a success.

So much so that the Festival Ale (quality stuff and the right ABV, 3.8 for an all dayer) ran out before most people arrived and all the real ale was gone by 2pm.

And they say there is no demand for the stuff!

Note to organisers - Please increase next year's order by 400%!

loper

Back to top Go down

Post  TarantiniDust Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:20 pm

loper wrote:Real Ale bar was a success.

So much so that the Festival Ale (quality stuff and the right ABV, 3.8 for an all dayer) ran out before most people arrived and all the real ale was gone by 2pm.

And they say there is no demand for the stuff!

Note to organisers - Please increase next year's order by 400%!

How can that be considered a success? They had a trial run at the Mighty Boosh the day before so no excuses. What do you expect I guees. Workers co operative. If a capitalist was behind it no way would they have run out of ale so early Mad

TarantiniDust

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Lady Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:45 pm

jonorangesky wrote:However, I recall at Fleadh events in London in the past, also run by Vince Power, the beer choice was canned Caffreys at an unprintable price (but don't expect much of your fiver left!) - and this from the "Workers Beer Cooperative" - with a name like that you might expect to get a good pint of draught beer.

I volunteer for the Workers Beer COMPANY (not Cooperative) and there were issues with the amount of real ale on site.
From what I understand, stock is ordered for both days and once that is on site, there is no extra order put in. I think they underestimated how much real ale would get drunk on the Saturday and so once it was all drunk, that was it, which was a shame. I know they've learnt their lesson regarding this.

Also, the WBC don't have a choice over which lager is stocked, this is up to the event organisers and their sponsors, sadly.
The fact people keep going on about Hop Farm as this non-branded festival is bizarre - Vince Power is the main who heads up Meanfiddler who are responsible for the Reading/Leeds festival and all the other major corporately branded festivals, its just branded as non-branded!

Sarah Lady

Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  loper Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Good points well made, Sarah.

As I posted earlier, the bar worked well despite the weather encouraging the inappropriately dressed to use it as a refuge from the rain. The range of (real) beers was good also. Rebranding the Ramsgate Brewery's Gadds' No 7 Bitter as Festival Ale was inspired, so much so that it ran out before most people arrived! A lovely pint and just the right strength for all day drinking, given the chance!!!

Good to hear that the powers that be have taken on board the need to reconsider the size of the beer order for future events.

loper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down